How Basketball Changed Us


I'm no expert, but I've been around basketball my entire life and have noticed a few things over the years. I read a great article about the positive aspects of the sport on women but I've also observed that just as basketball changed, so did American culture.  I'm not sure either of them realized the impact they have on each other, but here's my take.

Basketball was invented in the 1890's and there were only thirteen rules.  Life was simpler then.  By the 1930's, more rules were introduced.  All levels of basketball have their own rules, but it seems as though the NBA introduces something and it takes about five or ten years for those changes to trickle down to the NCAA and then onto High School.

I'm not sure that get rid of rules, they just add to them.  Some rules don't really change, they are just not enforced anymore.  (I remember when women's basketball had six players.  Three on offense and three on defense!)  Here is a list of rules that I wish were still enforced:
  • Raising your hand when you foul shows ownership.  [I remember having to raise my hand when I committed a foul.  Not any more and now it seems that American culture dictates that you don't have to take responsibility for your actions.  Just get a good lawyer.]
  • Walking [I remember when you were called for walking if your pivot foot moved a centimeter.  Now it seems like you can take half a step before walking is called.  In our culture, that's just exercising self control.  And do we have a lack of self controlled in America.]
  • Scoring  [Adding 3pt shots reminds me of adding 'honors' courses in high schools.  Just because you are doing your best with talent your were given, doesn't mean you deserve more.  If that was the case, shouldn't basic course be worth less?  Or in basketball terms, should baskets made right under the basket be worth less as you are closer to the basket?]
  • Steps in a lay-up - [It seems like now a days, a player can take three steps. It's like they start their approach from the foul line.  - Again, self control and following the rules --instead, our culture just adds new rules instead of enforcing the ones already in place.]
  • Uniforms - I remember when uniforms fit the players.  When they weren't covered in tatoos and gold chains.  These 'personal' statements seem to try to put the 'I' in team where there is none.  A uniform means it's the same for all.
Again, these are just my thoughts.  Just me, trying to make sense of the changing world during March Madness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Days Post Haylee

Responsible

Vaccine Day!