Just Own It!



Two years ago, the driver of the car that hit my daughter Haylee (while she was walking her dog Lola), received her sentence for a (reduced) charge of attempted leaving the scene.  As seen in this local news article:  Hit and Run in Swanton

One of the items on the sentence was: for her to have no contact with our family except for writing a 200-word letter of apology.  I'm here to say, we have yet to receive that letter.   So in the two years since sentencing and nearly three years since the accident, the driver cannot come to terms with the consequences of her actions.

As I was driving home today, I was stuck behind a black Ford Focus, the same type of car in the accident.  Whenever that happens,  I am reminded of the day that changed my life, but more importantly Haylee's life and the life of the driver of that vehicle.  I am reminded that we still do not know the real story.  Because of that, there is limited closure.

My 'closure' comes from the idea in my mind that reconstructs the accident, whereas upon hearing an approaching car in the shoulder of the road where Haylee was walking Lola, sensing danger, she put herself in front of the dog to protect it.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

But most days, I would like to hear the real story.  So please, just own up to the mistake so we can all move on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Days Post Haylee

Responsible

Vaccine Day!