Stuff

I'm at an age where many of my friends and my dad are downsizing their homes.  They are relocating, moving, retiring.  What I have noticed most is the emotional process they have to go through to make this change.  Our 'stuff' identifies us.  Somehow it is an outward look of who we are.

Those that are making this change each behave a little different.  Some appear okay with the departure of things that were important to them.  Some repeat over and over again that this is a good thing as if they are trying to convince themselves that their stuff doesn't make them who they are.  I noticed my dad seemed almost hurt when no one wanted some of his stuff.  Perhaps he didn't realize that we have our own stuff.

So whether it's marriage, divorce, retirement, death, or just plain old downsizing - sorting through the stuff of our lives is both a physical and emotional process.  It's another chance to grow into the person God wants us to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Days Post Haylee

Responsible

Vaccine Day!